Methionine is an essential amino acid. It is naturally in animal proteins, soy beans, sesame seeds, and is found in highest concentrations in Brazil nuts . L-Methionine is commonly supplemented for skin, nail, and hair health . It is also a precursor of L-Cysteine and L-Taurine, and is an critical component in the production of these compounds . Methionine is recognized as an antioxidant and affects the excretion of heavy metals .
Where to Purchase
500-1000 mg per serving
1. Agostini, P., Dalibard, P., Mercier, Y., Van der Aar, P., & Van der Klis, J. (2015).Comparison of methionine sources around requirement levels using a methionine efficacy method in 0 to 28 day old broilers. Poultry science, pev340.
2. Shapiro, J., & Price, V. H. (1998). Hair regrowth: therapeutic agents. Dermatologic clinics, 16(2), 341-356.
3. Trippel, S. B., Coutts, R. D., Einhorn, T. A., Mundy, G. R., & Rosenfeld, R. G. (1996).Instructional Course Lectures, The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons-Growth Factors as Therapeutic Agents*†. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 78(8), 1272-86.
4. Graber, G., & Baker, D. (1971). Sulfur amino acid nutrition of the growing chick: quantitative aspects concerning the efficacy of dietary methionine, cysteine and cystine. Journal of animal science, 33(5), 1005-1011.
5. Patra, R., Swarup, D., & Dwivedi, S. (2001). Antioxidant effects of α tocopherol, ascorbic acid and L-methionine on lead induced oxidative stress to the liver, kidney and brain in rats. Toxicology, 162(2), 81-88.
6. Barbier, O., Jacquillet, G., Tauc, M., Cougnon, M., & Poujeol, P. (2005). Effect of heavy metals on, and handling by, the kidney. Nephron Physiology, 99(4), p105-p110.