R-Alpha-Lipoic Acid (R-ALA) is a naturally occurring organosulfur compound and an isomer of the popular supplement Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) . Alpha-Lipoic Acid is a mitochondrial fatty acid that can be found in meats and certain vegetables . It is involved in energy metabolism, carbohydrate breakdown, and it has been shown to protect against various forms of oxidation and inflammation . R-ALA was first discovered in 1937 and, since then, has been widely recognized as a potent antioxidant .
2. Akiba, S., Matsugo, S., Packer, L., & Konishi, T. (1998). Assay of protein-bound lipoic acid in tissues by a new enzymatic method. Analytical biochemistry, 258(2), 299-304.
3. Moini, H., Packer, L., & Saris, N. L. (2002). Antioxidant and prooxidant activities of α-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acid. Toxicology and applied pharmacology, 182(1), 84-90.
4. Hiltunen, J. K., Schonauer, M. S., Autio, K. J., Mittelmeier, T. M., Kastaniotis, A. J., & Dieckmann, C. L. (2009). Mitochondrial fatty acid synthesis type II: more than just fatty acids. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 284(14), 9011-9015.
5. Galasko, D. R., Peskind, E., Clark, C. M., Quinn, J. F., Ringman, J. M., Jicha, G. A., et al. (2012). Antioxidants for Alzheimer disease: a randomized clinical trial with cerebrospinal fluid biomarker measures. Archives of neurology, 69(7), 836-841.
6. Data, P. (1995). Alpha-Lipoic Acid. Arzneimittelforschung, 45, 872-874.
7. Zembron-Lacny, A., Slowinska-Lisowska, M., Szygula, Z., Witkowski, K., Stefaniak, T., & Dziubek, W. (2009). Assessment of the antioxidant effectiveness of alpha-lipoic acid in healthy men exposed to muscle-damaging exercise. J Physiol Pharmacol, 60(2), 139-43.
8. Kramer, K., & Packer, L. (2001). R-alpha-lipoic acid. OXIDATIVE STRESS AND DISEASE,6, 129-164.
9. Moini, H., Packer, L., & Saris, N. L. (2002). Antioxidant and prooxidant activities of α-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acid. Toxicology and applied pharmacology, 182(1), 84-90.