S-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e) is a naturally occurring molecule in all human cells. Like vitamin B12 and folate, it is involved in the methylation cycle which helps the body respond to environmental stressors by detoxifying, maintaining DNA and producing energy . SAM-e acts as a methyl donor to membrane phospholipids and other molecules important for brain function affecting receptor function, membrane fluidity, and neurotransmitter production .
Where to Purchase
How to take
With a Meal on an As Needed Basis
200-400 mg per serving
1. Mitchell, D. (2000, September 1). The SAM-e Solution: The Essential Guide to the Revolutionary Antidepression Supplement. Grand Central Publishing.
2. Mandelker, L., & Wynn, S. (2004). Cellular effects of common nutraceuticals and natural food substances. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice,34(1), 339-353.
3. Nahas, R., & Sheikh, O. (2011). Complementary and alternative medicine for the treatment of major depressive disorder. Canadian Family Physician, 57(6), 659-663.
4. Papakostas, G. I. (2009). Evidence for S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAM-e) for the treatment of major depressive disorder. The Journal of clinical psychiatry, 70(suppl 5), 1,478-22.
5. Papakostas, G. I., Alpert, J. E., & Fava, M. (2003). S-adenosyl-methionine in depression: a comprehensive review of the literature. Current psychiatry reports, 5(6), 460-466.